Sunday, November 18, 2012

On-Site Sketching Series: Part III

Here is an image I made on-site at the Shedd Aquarium today:



I'm a little torn about the outcome of this drawing. I tried working with ink and brush rather than some variation of a market/pen combo that I usually lean toward for on-site work. There were a few drawbacks, including: slow process, materials taking up too much space and were too conspicuous, and inability to focus on the narrative while trying to handle the visual production.

Bottom line is, these drawbacks don't necessarily point to a problem with the medium (except for the space-taking/attention-drawing aspect)--I think that if I tried the ink and brush again with a more bold, gestural approach I could have a similar experience to the one I have with markers/pens.... but I can't help think, why not just use a brush pen??



Anyway, you don't need to hear me profess my love again for the art of on-site observational drawing--you get it. But the point is that the exploration continues!

I was accompanied on this artquatic adventure by fellow artists Brandon Waltz and Sarah Richardson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment