Wednesday, October 30, 2013

On-Site Drawing Series Part VII: Golan Heights!

Here is an on-location drawing I made when I was visiting the Golan Heights during my recent visit to Israel:

I typically prefer to make on-location drawings of people and movement, because I think that it's more challenging and forces the artist to make editorial decisions on the fly, but I think there is value in drawing a still landscape, too. This drawing in particular was somewhat of a challenge to complete simply due to time constraints. The trip had a jam-packed itinerary, so I got up early two of the days when we were staying at this hostel, and I was able to spend about forty minutes on it each of the mornings. I also went back into after I got home from the trip to add in a bit of detail. I hope to one day be a "pure" on-location visual recorder and complete the entire thing on-location, in a small time frame.

Anyway, I didn't get too many high quality photos of the trip, but here are a few I was able to snap with my one-use disposable camera (yes, they still make those!):


At a market in Jerusalem

Sunrise on Masada, think we got this moment covered
in the digital media dept.

Fellow travelers and myself in front of Jerusalem

Market near Tel-Aviv

On-location drawing pursuits aside, this was a very inspiring trip. If you haven't been there, get there! For me it only took getting over my crippling fear of flying across the ocean, but it was nothing a few pills and a couple glasses of wine couldn't resolve (just kidding, kind of)... l'chiam!  

No comments:

Post a Comment